Kingston wins season series over Oshawa 5-3 despite 7-4 loss

For the final time in the 2017-18 regular season, the Oshawa Generals made the trip to the Rogers K-Rock Centre. It may not be the final time of the season, however, as the Generals are one of four teams Kingston could host in the opening round of the playoffs. Based on regular season numbers, that is a match-up Kingston would welcome. The Frontenacs went into Wednesday nights game as winners of 5 of the 7 head to head games this season, including wins in all three home games. Kingston was looking for one more win to lock themselves into the third seed in the Eastern Conference, while Oshawa was desperate for points as they tried to catch Niagara to earn home ice advantage in the opening round.

It was a rough start for Kingston. Domenico Commisso gave the Generals an early lead just 1:09 into the game. He beat his man in the corner and snuck one in the short side to beat Jeremy Helvig. Oshawa kept coming after the goal, but Helvig bounced back to have a solid opening period making 14 saves on 15 shots. Kingston started to get things going in the second half of the period, but Kyle Keyser was equal to the task. He made 10 saves for a perfect opening period, including a couple on quality scoring chances. The Frontenacs were handed a power play late in the period when Commisso went to the box for delay of game. They weren’t able to score in the opening minute of the power play but carried 1:01 of that penalty into the second period.

The floodgates opened in the second period. Kingston tied the game just after an Oshawa penalty had expired when Cliff Pu stuffed a rebound in to make it 1-1. Oshawa took the lead back immediately on a Renars Krastenbergs goal. Domenico Commisso scored a beautiful goal for his second of the game to extend the Oshawa lead to 3-1. Eemeli Rasanen got Kingston back in the game with a point blast that blew by Keyser to shrink the gap to 3-2, but Brendan Harrogate restored the two goal lead a few minutes later. Finally, with under a second left in the period, Kenny Huether one-timed an Allen McShane pass by Helvig for a power play goal that made the Oshawa lead 5-2 going into the intermission. Kingston went to the dressing room looking to regroup and turn things around in the third period.

Kingston’s hopes of a comeback were dashed early in the final period when Hayden McCool and Serron Noel both scored in the first five minutes to give Oshawa a 7-2 lead. The Frontenacs made an effort to climb out of the hole they had dug. Gabe Vilardi scored midway through the period with an unbelievable wrist shot to make it 7-3. Cliff Pu added his second of the game with just under five minutes left to get Kingston within three, but the hole was too deep. The Generals would shut the door the rest of the way and take a big win back to Oshawa with them after defeating the Frontenacs 7-4.

Jason Robertson recorded assists on the first two Kingston goals. His second assist was his 200th career OHL point. By not earning at least a point, Kingston has yet to clinch the third seed in the Eastern Conference. They could do that tomorrow night if Hamilton beats Niagara.

Kingston will be back on Rogers K-Rock Centre ice in two days for the final home game of the regular season. They will host the North Bay Battalion Friday at 7 PM. They then head to Mississauga on Sunday afternoon for the regular season finale at 2 PM.

More News
Ryan Cranford Named in 2018-19 OHL Coaches Poll
5 days ago
Fronts Fans Say Farewell to the Overage Players in Final Home Game
1 week ago
Fronts Fall 5-0 to 67's in Gritty Game
2 weeks ago
Jake Murray Earns Academic Player of the Month for February
3 weeks ago
Frappier earns first win with Frontenacs - KGN (4) - WSR (3) - OT
3 weeks ago
Bonello Puts Up Stellar Performance in 3-2 Victory Over Ottawa
1 month ago