Nyman reaches 30-goal mark in 4-3 overtime loss to Owen Sound

Two scorching hot teams took the ice Friday night at the Rogers K-Rock Centre when Kingston hosted the Owen Sound Attack. While Kingston was riding a six-game winning streak, the Attack brought a five-game win streak of their own into the building. Despite missing both Max Jones and Sean Day, Kingston took a 5-3 road win on Wednesday night in Oshawa. Owen Sound was in Peterborough on Thursday night where they picked up a 6-5 win over the Petes. Jeremy Helvig made his 12th straight start in the Kingston net, while the Attack countered with former 67’s goaltender Olivier Lafreniere.

The top line for Kingston continued to sizzle with Vilardi and Pu earning three assists each and Linus Nyman recording two goals on the night. That wasn’t enough to overcome a strong Owen Sound Attack team which took this game 4-3 in overtime. The Kingston win streak was snapped at six games, but they earned a valuable point in the loss to close the gap on Hamilton to eight points.

Early in the game it wasn’t obvious that the two teams had long winning streaks entering play. Both teams had several turnovers and struggled to clear their own zone, however neither team could take advantage of those turnovers. The first half of the period saw a large number of whistles. There wasn’t a lot of flow to the play. That changed at the TV timeout. The teams played 9:31 without a whistle to end the period. Of course, when there are no whistles, there are no goals. The first period ended in a scoreless tie.

The pace wasn’t any better to start the second period. That was, in large part, due to a lengthy delay because of a broken strap on Jeremy Helvig’s helmet. After trying Brendan Bonello’s, then switching to his own back up mask, Helvig eventually got his game mask back. All the switching may have caused some confusion for the Kingston netminder because just after the final mask switch Owen Sound opened the scoring. Ethan Syzpula found a rebound and tucked it around Helvig for a 1-0 Owen Sound lead. The top line for Kingston struck back with one of their famous passing plays. Vilardi hit Pu, who then slid the puck to the goal scorer, Linus Nyman. The Attack took the lead back almost immediately when Syzpula potted his second of the period. After a slow start to the game, three goals were scored in a span of just under five minutes. The Attack lead 2-1 after two periods.

Things looked bad for Kingston early in the third. Owen Sound extended their lead when Jeremy Helvig gave up a terrible rebound expecting a delayed penalty to be called. Nick Suzuki found the rebound and slid it between Helvig’s legs for a 3-1 lead. The Frontenacs were given a golden chance to get back in the game near the midway point of the period when they were awarded a full two minute 5 on 3 power play. Jakob Brahaney cut the lead in half after a beautiful tic-tac-toe passing play. The Frontenacs carried that momentum and turned it into a tying goal when Linus Nyman scored his second of the night from right beside the net. A late Kingston power play saw them apply serious pressure, but they weren’t able to score, and the game headed to overtime.

In the overtime period, Owen Sound killed the remainder of the penalty and the teams briefly played 4 on 4. At the next whistle, the game returned to it’s usual 3 on 3 overtime format and opened up a bit. Eventually Owen Sound capitalized on an odd man rush and Ethan Syzpula scored his third of the game for the game winner.

Kingston will enjoy a Saturday off before returning to the Rogers K-Rock Centre ice on Sunday afternoon to host the North Bay Battalion at 2 PM.

More News
Bonello Puts Up Stellar Performance in 3-2 Victory Over Ottawa
23 hours ago
Fronts push back in the third but fall 3-2 to Rangers
5 days ago
Fronts drop 4-1 decision to Steelheads
1 week ago
Fronts Finish Strong but Fall Short in Comeback Effort Against 67's
1 week ago
Fronts fall just short in 4-3 shootout loss to Petes
2 weeks ago
Fronts struggle to fend off the Storm
3 weeks ago