Fronts Run Into Hot Goalie in 3-0 Loss to Attack

For the first time this season, the Kingston Frontenacs entered a game on a winning streak. Their opponent, the Owen Sound Attack, entered the game on a winning streak of their own. Kingston came in as winners of two in a row after wins over Sarnia and Kitchener on the road last weekend. The Attack had three straight wins entering Friday’s game. They came against Barrie, London and Guelph. Each team had a player out of the lineup while attending World Junior camps. Ian Derungs of the Frontenacs is away trying to make the Swiss team, while Nick Suzuki of the Attack attends Team Canada’s camp.

Kingston appeared to start the game with confidence. The players were moving the puck well and directing pucks towards the net. Brendan Bonello was looking very confident in goal while making eight opening period saves to keep Owen Sound off the scoreboard. Unfortunately, Attack goaltender Andrew MacLean was equally as good at the other end. He made twelve saves to keep the game scoreless after the first period. Kingston took 0:26 of power play time with them into the dressing room that carried over into the second frame.

The goalies continued to steal the show in the second period. Andrew MacLean made a couple of massive saves against Zayde Wisdom and Lucas Rowe. Both scoring chances came on a two on one rush for the Frontenacs. Bonello was keeping pace with MacLean for most of the period. He was swallowing pucks and allowing very few rebounds. Mitchell Russell was the first player to beat Brendan Bonello. He received a pass at the top of the circle and picked the top corner on the blocker side to put his team ahead. It was the only goal of the period for either team and it gave the Attack a 1-0 lead to take into the third period.

Owen Sound got the late insurance goal they were looking at 6:34 off the stick of Griffin Wilson. The goal was nearly identical to the teams first goal from Mitchell Russell. They didn’t allow the Frontenacs to gain any momentum throughout the period. Most of the play was in Kingston’s zone until late in the frame. The Frontenacs got a late power play but couldn’t generate a goal to get back in the game. With Bonello on the bench for an extra attacker, Zachary Roberts scored into the empty net to seal the game for Owen Sound. They took the game by score of 3-0.

Kingston will finish up the first half of their season on Sunday afternoon when they host the Flint Firebirds at 2 p.m. Tickets are available at or at Leon’s Centre box office.

More News
Fronts Prospect Profile: Maddox Callens
5 days ago
CHL announces partnership with Adept Mobile to create best-in-class Mobile App experience
6 days ago
Fronts Prospect Profile: Cayden Faust
2 weeks ago
Frontenacs Select Martin Chromiak and Vitali Pinchuk in CHL Import Draft
3 weeks ago
Jake Murray Receives Invite to Canada's U-18 Selection Camp
3 weeks ago
Wright, Haché Invited to Hockey Canada's U-17 National Development Camp
3 weeks ago