KGN vs PBO: Game Recap and Highlights

Watch more on Fronts TV >

The Kingston Frontenacs escaped Peterborough with a 3-1 win over the Petes on Saturday night at the Peterborough Memorial Centre in an Eastern Division Matchup. Kingston entered the game on back-to-back nights after a 5-4 win on Friday over Sudbury at home.

Paul Ludwinski would score the game-winner in the third period to complete the Kingston comeback victory. Matthew Soto and Ethan Ritchie added goals to help the Frontenacs win consecutive games for the first time this season, improving their record to 3-2-0.

Rookie goalie Michael Simpson was in the pipes for the maroon and white, while Leevi Merilainen made his fifth consecutive start for head coach Luca Caputi.



The first period was a physical affair with both teams throwing around the body. Artem Guryev would have six extensive checks as the big defender created space for the home team.

The teams traded chances during the first period, but both goaltenders kept the score knotted at zeros through 20 minutes of play. Kingston had two chances with the man-advantage and led on the shot clock 10-6, heading into the first intermission.



The Petes came out strong to start the second period, forcing the play early. After a whistle-less opening five minutes of hockey to start the middle stanza, Samuel Mayer got the Petes on the board with a shot from the top of the left face-off circle beating Meriläinen under the arm on a partially screened shot. Assists went to Nick Lardis and Emmett Sproule on the goal 4:51 into the period.

Kingston had a third power play chance after a boarding call on Guryev. The bruising defender was forced to leave the game after taking the penalty on Kingston’s rookie, Chris Thibodeau behind the Peterborough net. Simpson and the Petes penalty-kill did an excellent job with Kingston beginning to put more pressure on the Petes as the game grew on.

Playing a disciplined game, the first power play for Peterborough didn’t come until halfway through the second frame. The Fronts penalty-killing units was finally called upon at the 10:19 mark of the second. The Petes were unable to capitalize on their opportunity thanks a few timely saves by Leevi Meriläinen.

As the clock was winding down on the second period, Kingston’s Nathan Poole was called on a late penalty. On the penalty-kill, Kingston had the best chance as Shane Wright let a great shot go from the slot that forced Simpson to make a good glove save to hold the 1-0 lead for the Petes.



With seconds left in the second, Peterborough almost took a two-goal lead into to intermission as a loose puck made its way past Meriläinen, but Paul Ludwinski helped out his goaltender and knocked the puck away to keep the Fronts at a one-goal deficit heading into the final period. The play would prove to be huge momentum swing in Kingston’s comeback effort.

Kingston was rewarded with their fourth power play early in the third period, almost taking the lead as Edmonds hit the crossbar from the circle on a one-timer. Less than four minutes apart, Kingston would go ahead on a pair of goals. Jordan Frasca and Matthew Soto teamed up at 3:54 as the Fronts finally tied the game 1-1. Frasca had dropped a nifty pass to Soto who was able to get enough on a shot to squeak the puck by Simpson for his second goal in consecutive games. Ethan Ritchie also drew a helper on the tying score with a great bank pass off the boards to spring Soto and Frasca.



A four-minute powerplay immediately followed the Fronts opening-marker and it had the visiting team take the 2-1 lead. Ludwinski’s second goal of the season was ripped after Martin Chromiak set up the rookie in the slot. The puck bounced off the post before redirecting back behind the Petes goalie at 7:14. Lucas Edmonds collected the secondary assist on the play.



Ethan Ritchie scored his first goal of the season, on a late Petes penalty. On the power play, the defenceman was able to make a play in tight and tip the puck passed Simpson. Both Jordan Frasca and Lucas Edmonds registered their second assists of the game on the power play marker. Lucas Edmonds’ two point night now gives him a team-leading nine points to start the season. The Frontencas second power play goal rounded out the 3-1 final score.



On the Front

Kingston plays their next game on Friday, October 22nd, at Leon’s Centre. The Frontenacs will host the Peterborough Petes in a rematch at 7:00PM.

The arena is now operating at 100% capacity, following all Provincial health guidelines. Single game tickets can be purchased at or by visiting the venue box office.

Group tickets, flex packs, and season tickets are all available for purchase at

More News
Meriläinen, Edmonds and Wright fuel Frontenacs to a 5-4 shootout victory over Bulldogs
7 hours ago
Final Score: KGN 5 - 4 HAM - SO
7 hours ago
Game Day Preview: KGN at HAM
12 hours ago
North Bay leaves Kingston with 2 points
1 day ago
Final Score: KGN 2 - 5 NB
1 day ago
Game Day Preview: KGN vs NB
2 days ago